Every ARK server owner or even gamer knows the difficulty of connecting to a server that doesn't show up in the server browser. Sometimes even company-operated hosted servers are not listed, although this is the easiest way to list an unofficial server.
However, there are fixes available to both server owners and players to help them enumerate the server or find another way to connect to it.
Why doesn't my ARK server show up?
There are many reasons why a server might not show up in the server's browser.
- The server is not running on the host computer. Sometimes a server stops or refuses to start during an update. This problem can occur with people hosting their own servers or people on hosted servers.
- The game has been updated, but the version running on the server has not been updated. Server owners should update the server promptly after the game is updated; otherwise, players who have upgraded will not be able to join.
- You have selected the wrong filters and options in the server browser. If they don't match the server settings, it won't show up.
- You have not selected enough filters. There are so many servers running ARK: Survivor that it's not possible to list them all. The ones that show up for a given set of filters and search terms are random, though some say they're more likely to show up to a player if the server has low ping for them.
- You are trying to find the server through an alternative list, such as the Steam server browser. Sometimes this method can't see the server and normal ARK browser will show it.
- The server name is written in a way that makes it harder to find. For example, some hosts say that using special characters makes it less likely that their server will show up quickly.
These are just some of the reasons why a server might not show up. It sounds like a complex problem, but once you start looking for the cause, you'll find that it's often easy to fix.
How to fix ARK server not showing up
The reasons why your server may not display depends on whether you are a player, a server host, or the owner of a server hosted by a third party.
A server owner should try to make the fixes that a hosted server owner should, but the person paying for a host doesn't need to fix problems in the same way as someone running their own server at home.
However, the best way to find out why your server is not showing up is to start from the player's perspective. Do whatever it takes to make it appear as a player to make sure none of these issues bother you. If not, it could fix a lot of server issues if the problem was the launcher.
Fixes for players
Understanding how the server browser and filters work is beneficial to anyone trying to find an elusive ARK server. Start with the name filter at the top left.
- The name filter looks for specific words that you type in the field. When searching for a server named "Dinosaurs and Axes", you can use the word "Axes" so that the server's browser will only show sessions with the word "Axes" in the title.
- You can also choose onespecific cardPlease use the drop down menu on the map. You can only select one at a time unless you are searching for all cards. Choosing who your server is on can help narrow down a long list of results.
- In the Game Mode dropdown, you can choose between PvP, PvE, or both.
- You can also choose how to order the servers. It's usually pinged when you start. Choose one of the other options to see a different type and possibly help you find your server.
- Make sure sessions autoplay as favorites to make it easier to find servers in the future.
- Make sure Hide Full Sessions is not checked unless you are sure the server you are trying to find is not full.
- Use the session filter to choose what type of server you are looking for. This one stumbles upon a lot of new players. If you search for a server that hosts but you selected Official Servers, your server will not appear no matter what other filters you use.
- At the top right you can also sort by ascending or descending order of the results.
Knowing that all of your filters are correct is the first step in making sure that ARK is up to date. Then make sure your game and mods are up to date. Often the game or a mod is updated and your computer does not follow it automatically. It also helps ensure that the server shows up, since your configuration supports it.
This setup will completely remove and then reinstall all your mods. If you know a specific mod will be updated, just unsubscribe from that one. If no mods have been updated but the game has been updated, you can skip the sets with the mod workshop.
- Open Steam.
- Hover over itcommunity.
- Scribe "ARCO' in the Find workshop field.
- click"ARK: Survival Evolved" of the list.
- Hover over "your files' and click 'Subscribed articles.”
- clickLog out everyoneand confirm.
- Open Steam again. It will automatically check for an ARK update. No other games should be opened or run during the update.
- Try to find the server again.
- Click on it to join when it appears. Required mods are automatically subscribed and downloaded as part of the registration process.
Fixes for people running servers
If you're running your own server, you'll need to manually update the game, forward specific ports, and make sure your mod files are the latest version. These can prevent the server from being listed in the server browser.
- Run SteamCMD.
- Scribe "
login user password', but replace the username and password with your Steam User ID and Password.
- press enter.
- Scribe "
force_install_dir C:\ArkServer\' without quotes, but replace C: with the drive where you keep your ArkServer files.
- PressGet into.
- Scribe "
Validar app_update 346110"without quotation marks.
- Open the file folder of your ARK server.
- open thatmod folder.
- Replace outdated mods with the newer files downloaded from the Steam Workshop. Many ARK server owners use programs to manage their mods, so update them when you need to.
- Close your files.
- PressWindows-Sabor + R.
- Scribe "
wf.msc"without quotation marks.
- PressCtrl + Shift + Enter. This will start your firewall with administrative privileges.
- In the left pane, highlight Inbound Rules.
- clicknew rule.
- clickPuertoand then clicknext.
- To chooseTCP.
- Scribe "27015, 27016, 27020, 7777” without quotes in the Specific local ports field.
- To chooseallow connectionand then clicknext.
- Check each box and then clicknext.
- Scribe "ARCA-TCP' without the quotes as a name.
- Repeat steps 14-23, but in step 17 choose UDP instead of TCP and name this rule "ARK-UDP.”
- press theWindows + Likeand choosesettings.
- To chooseupdates and security.
- clickwindows securityin the left pane.
- To chooseFirewall and network protection.
- clickAllow an app through the firewall.
- Find ARK in the list and check the box next to it.
- Start the server.
The server should now be configured to appear in the server browser. Note that it takes a while for the server to start up and register with the browser, so don't expect it to show up right away.
Bug fixes for games hosted on dedicated servers
If you pay for a dedicated server, it's easy to manage and update files for ARK. Most server hosts should offer to do this automatically and restart the server afterwards.
However, that doesn't always happen. My last server host would often not update the game automatically and would lag on restart until the server came to a complete stop.
The steps vary depending on the server hosting company. However, these general fixes should be available regardless of who hosts your ARK server.
- Log in to your server's control panel.
- Stop the server if it is currently running. (If it's not running, it probably won't show up. Simply starting it may fix the problem.)
- press thesteam updateButton to update the version of ARK you are running.
- Select theUpdate and validateOption if available.
- update your mods. Most server hosts have a way to manage it through a mod manager or include mod updates in the steam server update option. If you manage them via FTP, connect to FTP and replace the old mod files with the new mod files in the Content/Modifications section.
- Wait at least 30 minutes for the process to complete and the server to reboot. Some server hosts may require you to manually reboot them once you're done. So check if it starts in the server status area.
- Verify that the server appears in the ARK server browser.
- Sometimes the use of strange characters or spaces in a server name makes it less likely to appear. If you are using an unusual hostname, try changing to common words without characters. It may appear clearer once the update has been processed.
- Steam has a server browser that you can useconnect to ARK serversinstead of using the ones from the game client. If you're having connection issues, check to see if it shows up on Steam.
If so, then it's just an ARK client issue and you may have to wait to see it later. If it doesn't show up for you on multiple machines on ARK or via Steam, it's most likely a server issue.
- Some people had trouble getting the servers to show up specifically on an internet connection. If they switch to using a hotspot or other connection, it will appear. This is just an ISP quirk and something you should talk to your ISP about if it happens repeatedly.
- Always check your server's IP if you have trouble seeing it. Sometimes your ISP can change it. In this case, it won't appear for people trying to connect to the old address.
Why isn t my ark showing servers? ›
Restart the game
Close the Lost Ark task and wait for a few moments for it to shut down entirely. Restart the game, and you should see that the server you are looking for now show up on the list. If it doesn't work, repeat the steps. Fully close the game and load it once more until the servers appear.
To join a non-dedicated session your partner needs to close the game, and click join your game (make sure your non dedicated session is up) from his *steam friend list*, ark will then start running and he should be redirected to your session automatically.How do you fix no sessions found on Ark Xbox? ›
No Sessions found, Have to uninstall and reinstall ARK to fix.What is an undedicated server ARK? ›
An Ark Dedicated server is a server used to play the online game Ark: Survival Evolved. The server is hosted by a company or individual, and players connect to it to play the game. A dedicated server usually has better performance and stability than a shared server, and can be customized to the player's needs.Is it possible to turn off the host barrier in ARK? ›
There is only 1 way and that is to host/run a dedicated server. Download ARK server manager and run a dedicated server.Can you turn the tether off on ARK? ›
You can use the ARK server manager to make it pretty easy, really. No tether there. You can change the distance in non dedicated settings screen. The slider goes to 3x but you can type a number in the box next to it to override.What does non dedicated mean in Ark? ›
A dedicated host is a server that is used only for hosting an ARK game. A non-dedicated server is a server that can be used for other purposes in addition to hosting an ARK game.What happens when you run a non dedicated server on ark? ›
Dedicated server is the practice of having a unique IP and specific server serving only for you, while in non dedicated server a number of websites and people can benefit from the same server. Since you share ark non dedicated server, you will not have the opportunity to use the total assets of the server.How do I clear my cache on ARK Xbox? ›
To clear the cache on an Xbox One, turn it off and unplug the power cable from the console and power outlet. Clearing the cache will delete all temporary data that games and apps use to run faster.What is a non-dedicated server? ›
As the name implies, the resources of a non-dedicated server are not dedicatedto any one website or client. Multiple hosting clients have the same RAM, CPU capacity, and storage access. Depending on the size of your hosting provider, a non-dedicated server can potentially host hundreds of websites, if not more.
What is the max tether distance in ARK? ›
Due to the fact that you'll be able to host a server and play at the same time, there is a limit on how far survivors can travel from one another. Currently this is set to approx 250M, as well as a limit on the amount of players that can be online at once, which is the host + 7.Can you change tether distance in ARK Xbox? ›
The version through steam and epic you can adjust this setting in the settings of the game but since the game pass version only associates itself with the version on Xbox (which doesn't support it) it can't adjust it either along with the fact you can't crossplay between Microsoft and Steam/Epic even if both are on pc.How do I play ARK without tethering distance? ›
The real answer is to switch over to a dedicated server. That is the only way to completely eliminate the tether range. If it is only going to be you and a few friends, you should be able to run the dedicated server on the same PC that you play on..Can you play ark with friends without a server? ›
Yes, this option can be pretty challenging, which is why players often prefer to play with a non-dedicated server. However, if you truly want a challenge, then going for a dedicated server might be an excellent option, even with all the efforts you have to make.What is dedicated vs non dedicated? ›
What is the difference between dedicated and non dedicated servers generally? Dedicated server is the practice of having a unique IP and specific server serving only for you, while in non dedicated server a number of websites and people can benefit from the same server.Can my friends play on my non dedicated server ark? ›
in my experience, try to ask your friends to join your game through the friend list menu on steam. First you open your game and run your non-dedicated server; When your server is opened and running nicely you ask then to join your match!Is a dedicated server needed? ›
The types of organizations that can benefit from dedicated hosting are: Midsize to large companies with 500+ employees that manage large amounts of data. If your business contains databases, large inventory/supply chain infrastructure, and hundreds of ecommerce transactions hourly, you need a dedicated server.Do beginner ARK servers wipe? ›
Beginner servers are wiped periodically to help provide a fresh beginner experience for new players. Join by searching "Beginner" in the server browser!Can you host an ARK server without owning the game? ›
You do NOT need to own the game at all to use steamCMD.How do you join someone's non-dedicated ark server? ›
First you open your game and run your non-dedicated server; When your server is opened and running nicely you ask then to join your match! make sure everyone has the same mods subscribed on workshop and everyone is up to date with everything! that should cover it!
Are non-dedicated servers saved in ark? ›
ARK has a non-dedicated multiplayer session, which allows you to host a server and play at the same time, along with a friend. When you start one of these sessions, and then 'quit', it never asks you to save.Can you play ARK with friends without a server? ›
Yes, this option can be pretty challenging, which is why players often prefer to play with a non-dedicated server. However, if you truly want a challenge, then going for a dedicated server might be an excellent option, even with all the efforts you have to make.Do beginner Ark servers wipe? ›
Beginner servers are wiped periodically to help provide a fresh beginner experience for new players. Join by searching "Beginner" in the server browser!Do all Ark servers get wiped? ›
no they don't wipe Official. unless corrupt something no backups etc. Why? The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.Do Ark unofficial servers wipe? ›
Unofficial server have full control over if and when they wipe. I don't plan to wipe mine unless something changes in the game that makes a current version incompatible with the server. A lot of servers wipe to offset the Alpha tribe domination. The 2 issues with this are.